The combination of the cream cheese and tart lemon is wonderful.
1 9-inch Pastry for deep-dish pie
cups granulated sugar, divided
6 Tbs cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbs butter
2 tsp grated lemon peel
4 drops yellow food coloring, optional
1/2 cup lemon juice
CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
12 ounces cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
cups whipped topping, thawed
1 Tbs lemon juice
Additional frozen whipped topping, optional
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pie dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. deep dish pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove foil and weights; bake 3-6 minutes longer or until bottom is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- For lemon filling, combine 3/4 cup granulated sugar, cornstarch and salt in a small saucepan. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; add remaining sugar. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter, lemon peel and food coloring, if desired. Gently stir in lemon juice. Cool to room temperature, about 1 hour.
- For cream cheese filling, beat cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped topping and lemon juice. Spread over pie shell; top with lemon filling. Refrigerate overnight.
- If desired, dollop additional whipped topping over lemon filling. Refrigerate until serving.