Use care to check your cherries for pits. You don’t want any unpleasant surprises, especially if you are sharing this pie with a guest!
You will need a 6 inch pie pan for this recipe.
1 recipe homemade pie crust
1 box refrigerated pie crust
2 Tbsp quick-cooking tapioca
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups pitted cherries
2 tsp butter
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. In a large zip top bag, combine tapioca, salt, sugar, and cherries. Shake to coat the cherries and let stand while you fit the bottom crust into the pie pan.
3. Divide pie crust into 2 pieces, one larger for the bottom crust, one smaller for the top. Roll out the bottom crust and fit into the pie pan. Trim the edges of the crust just beyond the rim of the pan. Chill the bottom crust in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
4. Turn the cherry mixture out into the bottom crust and dot with butter.
5. Roll out the top crust and either cut into 1/2 inch slices and form a lattice crust, or cover the cherries with the full top crust, flute edges and cut vents in the top.
6. Place the pie on a foil lined cookie sheet, in case of drips.
7. Bake for 40 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly. Check half way through baking time. You may need to shield the edges of the crust with foil to prevent burning.
Yield: One 6 inch pie