The buttermilk glaze makes this snack cake extra moist. No frosting is needed.
For the Cake:
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 extra large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 tart apples – peeled, cored and sliced
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup raisins
For the Glaze:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 Tbsp butter
1/8 tsp baking soda
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 9 x 13″ baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the butter and sugars until smooth.
3. Add the eggs and vanilla, again stirring until smooth. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients, then add them to the butter mixture, stirring until blended.
5. Stir in the apples, nuts, and raisins.
6. Spread the batter into the prepared dish.
7. Bake for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean
8. When the cake is nearly done baking prepare the glaze.
9. In a small sauce pan, combine all the glaze ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring to blend.
10. While the cake is still warm, puncture all over with a toothpick.
11. Gradually spoon the glaze over the cake.
12. Let stand one hour before serving.