When I first thought of this recipe I pictured a layer of creamy peaches in the center of the cake. It didn’t work out that way. The peaches sank to the bottom, taking the cream cheese layer with them. Oh well, it still tastes the way I wanted.
For the Cake:
8 oz light cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 extra large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 18 oz box pudding type cake mix, white or yellow
2 large peaches, peeled and sliced
For the Frosting:
4 Tbsp butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly butter and flour a 9×13″ baking dish.
2. In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese and sugar until very smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Set this mixture aside.
3. Prepare the cake batter using either the ingredients on the box or my Better Box Cake recipe. Pour half of the batter into the prepared baking dish, then arrange the peach slices in a single layer on top of the batter. Gently dollop and spread the cream cheese mixture over the peaches and top with the remaining batter.
4. Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until the edges of the cake begin to pull away and the top springs back when lightly touched. Let cool completely.
5. In a larger bowl, combine the butter and powdered sugar, then beat in the vanilla and the milk, one Tbsp at a time until the frosting is fluffy. You may need a little less or more milk. Spread the frosting over the cooled cake. This cake should be stored covered in the refrigerator.