Another Southern Secret: It’s best to beat the syrupy part of the filling by hand for the smoothest texture and even baking. Using an electric mixer adds too much air.
1/2 15 1/2 ounce box refrigerated pie crust (1 crust)
8 oz cream cheese, softened
4 large eggs, divided use
3/4 cup sugar, divided use
2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1 tsp cornstarch
1 cup light corn syrup
1. Place a foil lined baking sheet on the lowest oven rack and preheat the oven to 350°.
2. Fit pie crust into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate according to package directions. Fold edges under and crimp.
3. Beat cream cheese, 1 egg, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla, and salt at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Pour cream cheese mixture into piecrust; sprinkle evenly with chopped pecans.
4. Whisk the cornstarch into the remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
5. Blend together the corn syrup and remaining 3 eggs, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1 tsp. vanilla; pour mixture over pecans. Place pie on the foil lined baking sheet.
6. Bake at 350° on lowest oven rack 50 to 55 minutes or until pie is set. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour or until completely cool. Serve immediately or cover and chill up to 2 days.