This easy version of a Boston Cream Pie makes just enough.
1 9 oz package yellow cake mix, such as Jiffy brand
1 3 1/2 oz package instant vanilla pudding mix
1 cup milk
3/4 cup cream
1 1/2 oz dark chocolate morsels (I use Ghiradelli)
2 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp cream
1. Prepare cake mix according to package directions, baking in a greased and lightly floured 8″ cake pan.
2. When baked, let stand 5 minutes, then remove from pan to cool on wire rack.
3. Prepare pudding mix according to package directions, using 1 cup milk and 3/4 cup cream. Cover and chill while preparing glaze.
4. In a small sauce pan, cook chocolate and butter on low heat until melted.
5. Stir in sugar, vanilla, and cream. Cook to a syrupy spreading consistency.
6. To assemble: Cut baked cake layer horizontally into two equal halves.
7. Set top aside.
8. Spread filling evenly on bottom half.
9. Cover with top layer and press to set.
10. Spread warm glaze on top of cake, letting the glaze drip over the edges in places.
11. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.