While these cookies are delicious on their own, the dough makes a great crust for fruit bars. Spread 2/3 of the dough in a 9×13 baking dish and pre-bake 15 minutes or so. Top with fresh fruit or preserves, crumble the remaining dough on top, and bake until browned. How easy is that?
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
2 extra large eggs
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1. In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugars, and extracts with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
2. Add eggs, one at a time, beating only until combined.
3. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add to the butter mixture.
4. Shape into 3 logs that are about 2 inches in diameter and wrap each in plastic wrap.
5. Chill 8 hours or overnight. At this point the dough may be frozen for later use.
6. Preheat oven to 350°.
7. Slice the cookies 1/4 inch thick and place on baking sheets.
8. Bake the cookies for 8 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. The longer baking time will produce a crisper cookie.