This rich and decadent cake is special enough for any holiday, but it starts with store bought chocolate syrup and a boxed cake mix.
1/2 cup chocolate syrup
1 18-oz pkg chocolate cake mix
1 cup milk, room temperature
1/3 cup oil
7 extra large eggs, divided, room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream, room temperature
1 8-oz pkg cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 12-oz can evaporated milk
1 4-oz pkg semi-sweet chocolate, melted
1 cup whipped topping, thawed
1. Heat oven to 375ºF.
2. Pour chocolate syrup into 12-cup* fluted tube pan sprayed with cooking spray. (See note below)
3. Beat cake mix, milk, oil and 3 eggs in large bowl with mixer 2 min. or until blended. Add sour cream and mix well. Pour over syrup in pan.
4. Beat cream cheese and sugar in separate bowl with mixer until blended. Add remaining eggs and mix well. Blend in evaporated milk and melted chocolate, then gently spoon over cake batter in pan. Cover with foil sprayed with cooking spray, sprayed side down.
5. Place tube pan in large shallow pan. Add enough water to larger pan to come at least 2 inches up side of tube pan. Bake 1 hour 30 min. or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool cake completely in pan. Refrigerate 2 hours. Invert cake onto plate and remove pan. Spoon any chocolate syrup remaining in pan over cake. Serve cake topped with whipped topping.
6. *Note: To prevent overflow, check cake pan to confirm it is the required -cup size. Just measure 3 qt. (12 cups) water and pour into empty pan to verify the volume before using as directed. If you only have a 10-cup fluted tube pan, reserve 2 cups cake batter before pouring remaining batter into prepared tube pan Continue as directed. Reserved cake batter will make 9 cupcakes. Bake as directed on cake mix package.