This pie is a marriage of many textures. Tender apples are covered in a creamy filling and topped with a crispy streusel. Although I’m not sure where this recipe came from, I’m glad I found it.
1 9 inch pie crust
1/4 cup butter
2 tart apples – peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/3 cups white sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbs all-purpose flour
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/8 cup white sugar
1/8 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbs butter
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
2. To Make Apple Filling: Melt 1/4 cup butter or margarine in skillet over medium heat. Add apple, 1/2 cup white sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, until tender. Set aside.
3. To Make Buttermilk Custard: In a large mixing bowl combine 1/4 cup softened butter or margarine with 1 1/3 cups white sugar. Beat until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating until yellow disappears. Mix in vanilla, then 2 tablespoons flour. Combine thoroughly, then pour in buttermilk, beating until smooth.
4. Fit pastry into pie pan and prick with a fork. Spoon apple mixture into crust, then pour buttermilk custard over it.
5. Place in preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes.
6. To Make Streusel Topping: While pie is baking, combine 1/8 cup white sugar, brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour, and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in 2 tablespoons butter or margarine until mixture is crumbly.
7. Remove pie from oven after 30 minutes and sprinkle streusel topping over custard. Return to oven and bake for an additional 40 to 50 minutes, until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 1 hour before serving.