Prepare this casserole in individual dishes and it will be company worthy. If you don’t have Cream of…Soup Mix substitute a can of cream of shrimp soup. Do not dilute it with broth.
8 oz medium shrimp
1/2 tsp Emeril’s Essence
1/2 small lemon, thinly sliced
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup converted brown rice (such as Uncle Ben’s), uncooked
1/3 cup cream of soup mix
6 oz artichoke hearts, frozen
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup light sour cream
1/4 cup cooking sherry
1 tsp butter
1. Preheat oven to 375* F. Grease an 1 1/2 qt. baking dish. I use a glass loaf pan.
2. Peel and devein the shrimp, reserving the shells. Sprinkle the shrimp with the Essence, cover, and refrigerate.
3. In a small saucepan, combine the reserved shrimp shells with 2 cups of water, the Worcestershire, sliced lemon, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, cover, and steep for 15 to 30 minutes.
4. Strain the broth through a fine mesh strainer, reserving the broth and discarding the solids. Measure 1 1/3 of the broth into a small bowl. To the remaining broth, add enough water to make one cup.
5. Rinse out the small saucepan, then combine the one cup of the broth/water mixture with the rice. Cook according to the package directions.
6. In the small bowl, add the cream of …soup mix to the 1 1/3 cup of broth. Stir well and set aside.
7. In a microwave safe bowl, cook the artichoke hearts, covered, on high for 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
8. In a large skillet, saute the onions, mushrooms, and bell pepper in 1 Tbsp butter until tender. Stir in the soup mix, a little at a time, until smooth. Stir in sour cream and sherry. Cook until heated through.
9. In another small skillet, cook the shrimp in 1 tsp of butter until just beginning to turn pink and curl. Do not cook until done.
10. In the baking dish, spread the cooked rice in an even layer. Top with the mushroom mixture and arrange the artichokes and then the shrimp evenly over the mushrooms.
11. Pour the soup mixture over shrimp in the baking dish.
12. Bake covered at 375* F for 20 minutes, then uncovered for another 15 minutes, or until bubbly.
Oven Temperature: 375°F