This casserole is great for company. It’s ingredients are impressive and it’s best prepared a day ahead, then baked. Serve it over brown rice or pasta.
1 12 oz package frozen artichoke quarters, steamed
1 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined, cooked
6 Tbsp butter, divided
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1/4 cup sherry wine
1 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
paprika for garnish if desired
1. Lightly butter a 2 quart casserole. Layer the artichoke hearts in the bottom of the baking dish and top with the shrimp. Set aside.
2. In a large skillet, melt 2 Tbsp of the butter and saute the mushrooms until tender. Layer the mushrooms over the shrimp.
3. In the same skillet, make the sauce. Melt the remaining 4 Tbsp of butter, then whisk in the flour. Season with the salt and pepper. Cook and stir the flour mixture for 2 minutes, then slowly whisk in the half-and-half and sherry. Stir in the Worcestershire.
4. Pour the sauce evenly over the artichoke, shrimp, and mushroom layers and top with the Parmesan cheese. If desired, sprinkle with paprika.
5. If time allows, cover the casserole and refrigerate until the next day.
6. Preheat the oven to 375°. If refrigerated, remove the casserole to the counter top 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered for 25 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned.