Bay scallops can sometimes be tricky to prepare, but this recipe avoids most of the pitfalls. Soaking the scallops in milk keeps them sweet. Because scallops are naturally moist to begin with, there is no need to use egg in the breading, keeping them light. Just make sure to heat the oil just until it begins to shimmer and don’t over crowd the pan.
For the mayo:
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1 tsp Asian chili sauce (such as sambal oelek)
1 tsp honey
1/8 tsp kosher salt
For the scallops:
8 oz bay scallops
1 cup milk
1/4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 cup vegetable oil, such as safflower
2 hot dog buns
2 lettuce leaves
1. For the mayo:
2. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, chili sauce, honey, and salt. Set aside.
3. For the scallops:
4. About an hour ahead of time, combine the scallops and milk in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate.
5. About ten minutes ahead of time, drain the scallops and dry on paper towels. Discard the milk.
6. In a medium bowl, combine breadcrumbs, flour, and 1/2 teaspoon paprika; season with salt and pepper. Add scallops, and toss to coat.
7. In a medium non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Fry scallops, tossing occasionally, until golden and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer scallops to a paper towel lined plate; season with salt.
8. Dividing evenly, spread inside of buns with spicy mayo. Top with a lettuce leaf, then scallops. Serve po boys immediately.