If you’re going low-carb, this dish is for you. Serve the lighter variation of a quiche for brunch or dinner. Substitute broccoli for the asparagus by briefly steaming it then running under cold water to stop the cooking. Drain the broccoli on paper towels before adding to the sauted mushrooms mixture.
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp minced garlic
1 cup asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1″ pieces
4 oz crimini mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
8 extra large eggs
1/2 cup low-fat milk
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray a 9″ pie pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
2. In a large non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil and garlic just until fragrant. Do not brown. Add the asparagus and saute a few minutes, then add the mushrooms and cook until both are slightly softened. Season with about half or the salt and pepper. Remove the veggies to the prepared pie pan and allow to cool slightly.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the eggs, milk, and remaining salt and pepper. Whisk very well. Gently pour the egg mixture over the vegetables.
4. Sprinkle the green onions and cheese over the top.
5. Bake for about 25 minutes or until just set. Allow to stand, lightly covered, for 10 minutes before serving.