This is a great recipe for Meatless Monday. Serve it with refried beans and/or rice.
1 cup chunky salsa, divided
12 6 inch corn tortillas
2 cups half-and-half
5 extra large eggs
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
12 whole roasted, peeled and seeded green chilis (4 4 oz. cans whole green chiles)
2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Spray a 9×9 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Spread 1/3rd cup of the salsa in the bottom, then arrange 4 corn tortillas over the salsa, tearing to fit.
3. Mix together the half-and half, eggs, paprika, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
4. Cut 6 of the chilis in half and add a single layer them over the tortillas as evenly as possible. Sprinkle on 1/3rd of the cheese, then gently pour on 1/2 of the milk mixture.
5. Repeat layering 4 more tortillas, 6 more chilis, 1/3rd of the cheese, and the rest of the milk mixture. Top with the last 4 tortillas, the remaining 2/3rds cup salsa, and the cheese.
6. Cover with foil and bake at 325° for 45 minutes. Uncover, raise the oven to 350°, and bake another 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
7. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into squares to serve.
Oven Temperature: 325°F