Packed with cheesy veggies and pasta, Creamy Zucchini and Spinach Rigatoni is a quick grownup mac n’ cheese, great for week nights. Take this casserole up a notch by adding a can of diced fire roasted tomatoes along with the broth if you’re in the mood.
6 oz rigatoni pasta, uncooked
1 tsp oil
1 zucchini, sliced
8 oz sliced fresh mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 cup chicken broth
4 oz cream cheese
1 5-oz package baby spinach leaves
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (1 ounce)
1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (6 ounces)
1. Heat oven to 375ºF.
2. Cook pasta as directed on package, omitting salt.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add zucchini, mushrooms and garlic and cook until zucchini is crisp-tender, stirring frequently.
4. Add flour and seasonings, cook and stir 1 min. Stir in broth and cook until thickened, stirring frequently.
5. Add cream cheese, then cook and stir 2 to 3 min. or until the cheese is melted.
6. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Add the drained pasta to the zucchini mixture along with the spinach, Parmesan and 1/2 cup mozzarella and mix lightly to combine.
7. Spoon into 2-qt. casserole sprayed with cooking spray and drizzle with the reserved pasta water. Top with the remaining mozzarella.
8. Cover and bake 15 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until mozzarella is melted and just beginning to color.