Another version of Eggplant Parmesan
2 large eggplant, peeled and sliced lengthwise 3/4 ” thick, 8 slices
5 Tbsp olive oil, divided plus more for baking dish
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 ounces thinly sliced cremini mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp freshly chopped thyme leaves
1 15 ounce container part-skim milk ricotta cheese
3 extra large eggs
1 cup grated Parmesan, divided
2 Tbsp freshly chopped oregano leaves
2 cups homemade marinara sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Arrange sliced eggplant in a single layer on 2 sheet pans. Brush on both sides using 3 tablespoons of oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast the eggplant until it is soft and golden. Turn slices halfway through, about 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and the sliced mushrooms. Sauté until soft for about 7 minutes. Add the minced garlic and chopped thyme. Cook for another 2 minutes. Once the mushrooms are cooked remove and set aside to cool.
4. In a large bowl add the ricotta, eggs, 1/2 cup Parmesan, oregano, mushrooms, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix well. Brush an 8-inch baking dish with oil.
5. Spread half of the marinara sauce on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Lay 4 slices on top followed by the ricotta mixture. Lay another 4 slices of eggplant and finish with marinara sauce. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan. Bake until golden brown, at 350 degrees, for 30 minutes.
Oven Temperature: 400°F