This recipe makes 2 generous or 4 lighter main dish servings. It goes well with a House Salad and White Wheat Refrigerator Rolls.
For the Eggplant:
1 medium eggplant, sliced 1/2″ thick
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 large egg
1 Tbsp water
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (1 oz)
For the Filling:
6 oz fresh ricotta cheese
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan, (2 oz)
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 tsp dried parsley flakes
2 cups marinara sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella, (4 oz)
1. Sprinkle eggplant slices on both sides with salt and place in a colander to drain. Let stand 30 minutes, then rinse well and pat dry. This step will remove any bitterness, but if you have really fresh eggplant from a local garden you can skip this if you’re in a hurry.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°. Spray a baking sheet with a generous coating of cooking spray.
3. In a flat shallow bowl, combine one egg and one Tbsp. of water, beating well with a fork. In a zip top bag, combine the bread crumbs and 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese.
4. Combine the flour, garlic salt, and pepper in a second zip top bag. Add the eggplant slices and shake to coat. Dip the floured eggplant slices in the egg mixture. Allow the excess egg to drip back into the dish then toss the eggplant in the breadcrumbs.
5. Arrange the eggplant in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, then turn and bake another 10 minutes or until golden brown.
6. While the eggplant is baking prepare the cheese mixture. In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, shredded Parmesan, beaten egg, and parsley.
7. Reduce the oven to 350°. Lightly coat a loaf pan (4.5×8 in.) with cooking spray.
8. In the bottom of the loaf pan, spread 1/2 cup of the Marinara Sauce. Layer in 1/3 of the eggplant, then 1/3 of the cheese mixture, 1/3 of the mozzarella, and top with another 1/2 cup of the sauce. Repeat with the remaining eggplant, cheese mixture, and sauce, reserving the rest of the mozzarella.
9. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until bubbly. Top with the reserved mozzarella and bake another 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.