This versatile dish can be brunch, lunch, or dinner, hot or cold, but it’s only as good as the tomatoes that are it’s focus. Add half a pound of bacon or Italian sausage, cooked and drained, if desired.
1/2 15 1/2 ounce box refrigerated pie crust (1 crust)
8 oz shredded Italian blend cheese, divided
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
4 large tomatoes, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/2 cup green onion, sliced
1 oz shredded Parmesan cheese
1. In a deep dish pie pan, bake pie crust according to package directions. Immediately upon removing from the oven sprinkle the bottom of the crust with 1/2 cup of the Italian cheese blend.
2. In a small bowl, combine the salt, granulated garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the remaining Italian cheese blend and mayonnaise. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 375°.
4. Arrange half of the tomatoes in the pie crust and sprinkle with half each of the basil, green onions and spices, then all of the Parmesan. Repeat with the remaining tomatoes, basil, green onions, and spices. Carefully spread the mayonnaise mixture over the top.
5. Cover the pie loosely with foil. Bake 30 minutes, then uncover and bake 30 minutes more, shielding the edges of the crust with foil if they begin to get too brown.
6. Allow to stand a few minutes before cutting.