I call this “power” pasta salad because it’s packed full of everything you need for a meal and nothing you don’t. Each serving has only 217 calories, 6g fat, and 21g carbs, but packs 4g fiber and 11g protein. Want a vegetarian version? Leave out the ham. Between the edamame and egg you’ll still get protein, but add a little extra of those or some diced tofu, if you like.
4 oz Dreamfields elbow macaroni, uncooked
1/2 cup my buttermilk dressing
1/2 cup Greek yogurt, plain
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup broccoli , florets roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces, stems trimmed, peeled, and cut into 1/2″ pieces
1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
1/2 cup edamame, steamed and cooled
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
1 cup grape tomatoes
1/2 cup green onion, sliced
2 extra large eggs, boiled
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the pasta. Boil, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, for 7 minutes, or until barely al dente. Do not overcook. Drain into a colander and immediately rinse under cold water to stop the cooking. Continue to rinse, tossing continuously until cold. Shake off the moisture and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk dressing, yogurt, and raisins. Set aside for the raisins to add sweetness to the dressing.
3. In a small microwave safe bowl, steam the broccoli, covered, for 30 seconds. Pour into a wire strainer and immediately rinse under cold water, then set aside to drain well.
4. In a large bowl, combine the broccoli and all the remaining ingredients except the eggs. Toss to blend evenly, then stir in the dressing until evenly coated. Add the pasta and stir to combine.
5. Slice or chop the eggs and layer on top of the pasta salad. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.