To make this a vegetarian dish, just omit the bacon. You’ll save 43 calories and 3 grams of fat per serving.
1 9 inch pie crust
6 slices bacon, cooked and drained
1/4 cup butter
1 small onion, chopped
4 oz sliced mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, minced
10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
8 oz shredded Swiss cheese
4 large eggs
1 cup 2% low-fat milk
1. Preheat oven to 400*.
2. Bake pie crust for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with half the cheese. Lower oven to 375*.
3. In a large skillet cook bacon until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels, then crumble half the bacon on top of the cheese.
4. Drain grease out of the skillet. In the same skillet, melt the butter and cook the onion and mushrooms until wilted. Add the garlic and cook about 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in the spinach and most of the remaining cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon spinach mixture into the pie crust and top with the remaining crumbled bacon.
5. In a two cup glass measure combine the eggs and milk with a little more salt and pepper and pour gently over spinach mixture.
6. Bake at 375* for 45 minutes, top with remaining cheese, and bake about 15 minutes more, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
7. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.