Sauté vegetables of your choice and stir them into the marinara to up the nutritional value of this dish.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
10 ounces fresh spinach
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 large egg, slightly beaten
15 ounces part-skim milk ricotta cheese
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
4 ounces grated Italian cheese blend, divided
2 cups homemade marinara sauce
4 ounces jumbo shells, cooked (8 shells)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cook the pasta shells according to the package directions, drain, and rinse with cold water.
2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook one minute, until the garlic is fragrant. Add the spinach and sprinkle with salt. Toss the spinach to wilt. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
3. While the spinach is cooling stir together the egg, ricotta Italian seasoning, and 3/4 of the Italian cheese blend. Squeeze the spinach dry, roughly chop, and add to the ricotta, stirring well to combine.
4. Spread about 1/2 cup marinara in the bottom of a 9″ square casserole dish. Divide the ricotta mixture evenly between the shells and arrange in the baking dish; top with the remaining sauce and sprinkle on the remaining Italian cheese blend.
5. Bake 30 minutes or until hot and the cheese is melted and golden. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.