This recipe is a play on my vegetarian Butternut Ravioli II. Technically, it’s not meatless because of the bacon, but the less bacon you use the closer it will be.
1 recipe Butternut Ravioli II
8 slices bacon, cut in 1/2″ pieces
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup Basic Caramelized Onions
1/2 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Prepare one recipe of Butternut Ravioli II, layering it uncooked between sheets of wax paper or plastic wrap. One pound of commercially prepared ravioli may be substituted.
2. Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a very gentle boil.
3. In the largest, widest skillet available, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon to a paper towel lined plate and discard all but a tablespoon or two of the bacon grease.
4. Deglaze the skillet with the vegetable broth, scraping up any browned bacon bits that cling to the bottom of the pan. Bring the broth to a boil and reduce by one third.
5. Reduce the heat in the skillet to low.
6. Working with just 2 or 3 ravioli at a time, boil them in the water until each floats to the top plus one minute. With a slotted spoon or spider, remove each ravioli to the skillet, turning to coat in broth. After a few ravioli have been cooked, fold the caramelized onions and reserved bacon into the skillet. Continue until all the ravioli have been cooked and coated in broth, onions and bacon. The starch in the ravioli will thicken the sauce slightly.
7. Serve each portion sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.