I prefer to make this family friendly casserole a little healthier by using my Cream of… Soup Mix rather than commercial cream of mushroom soup. Use 1/3 cup of mix combined with 1 1/4 cups of water or broth.
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 large onion chopped
1/2 tsp salt, divided
1/2 tsp pepper, divided
4 ounces sliced mushrooms
1 10 3/4 oz can cream of mushroom soup, condensed
1/3 cup light sour cream
1/3 cup 1% low fat milk
3 cups cooked brown rice
12 ounce baked ham, in bite sized pieces
1 bunch broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1. In a large non-stick skillet, melt butter with olive oil and sauté onions until translucent. Add mushrooms and cook until soft, seasoning with a little of the salt and pepper.
2. Remove from heat and stir in the soup, sour cream and milk. Return to low heat and keep warm.
3. Briefly steam the broccoli to slightly under cook, only about a minute, then immediately run under cold water to stop the cooking.
4. Preheat the over to 350°.
5. Spray a shallow 2 1/2 quart casserole dish with non-stick spray.
6. Spread the rice in the bottom of the casserole and layer on the ham, then the broccoli. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread the soup mixture over the broccoli. Toss together the melted butter and panko and sprinkle evenly over the soup mixture.
7. Cover and bake 20 minutes, then uncover and bake15 to 20 minutes more, until the topping is golden. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.