Don’t be tempted to skip the step of par-boiling the sausages. The outside of the sausage will be scorched before the inside is fully cooked. I usually prepare a little pasta for extra marinara.
2 links Italian sausage
1 medium red bell pepper
1 small Vidalia onion
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 slices provolone cheese
2 hot dog buns or sub rolls
1/2 cup marinara sauce
1. In a large skillet, cover the sausage links with cold water and bring to a boil. When the water has come to a boil, turn the links over, turn off the heat, and let the sausage stand in the hot water for five minutes.
2. Cut the bell pepper in half from stem to end. Remove the seeds and trim out the membrane.
3. Cut both ends off the onion and then cut in half to make two thick slices. Secure the rings together with toothpicks or the metal pins used to truss a turkey.
4. Remove the sausages to a plate along with the pepper and onion and coat all generously with olive oil.
5. Grill the sausage and veggies over direct heat for a few minutes to color, then over indirect heat until the sausages are fully cooked and the veggies are just tender.
6. Lightly toast the buns and add a slice of cheese onto the open bun.
7. Slice the peppers and onions into strips and divide between the buns along with the sausages. Top all evenly with marinara.