Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice is an authentic New Orleans recipe that tastes as though you’ve cooked it for hours, and tastes even better the next day. For a vegetarian version, just leave out the sausage and ham hock, but up the spices a bit. It won’t be the same, but it does make a tasty and filling vegetarian dinner.
2 Tbs vegetable oil
1 lb andouille sausage cut into slices
1 1/2 cups onion chopped
1 1/2 cups bell pepper chopped
1 1/2 cups celery chopped
1 Tbsp garlic minced
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp Creole seasoning
1 tsp salt or to taste
1 tsp black pepper or to taste
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 large 3 small bay leaves
1 lb small red beans soaked overnight or quick-soaked, drained
1 smoked ham hock or ham shank
4 cups cooked brown rice, for serving
4 green onions chopped
1/4 cup parsley chopped
1. Select ‘Saute’ mode and allow the Instant Pot to heat up. Add oil to inner pot of Instant Pot. Add andouille sausage, and cook until browned, about 5 to 8 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a medium bowl and set aside.
2. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic. Stir until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add thyme, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper and stir to coat, about 30 seconds. Add a few Tbsp of broth and stir to deglaze the inner pot. Stir in remaining broth, bay leaves, red beans, and ham hock.
3. Close the Instant Pot and pressure cook for 30 minutes. Allow for a natural pressure release and open the Instant Pot.
4. Remove the ham hock, chop into bite-size pieces and set aside. Remove 1 cup of beans, and mash with a fork.
5. Return ham hock, mashed beans and reserved andouille sausage to the inner pot, and stir well. Select ‘Saute’ mode and allow the Instant Pot Red Beans to thicken, about 5 minutes.
6. Serve over hot brown rice and garnish with green onions and parsley.