My father used to love kielbasa sausage. I can remember him slicing it off and eating it cold.
1 pound kielbasa sausage, cut into 2″ pieces
4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 pound baby carrots
1 medium sweet onion, quartered
1 medium green bell pepper, quartered
1/2 head green cabbage, quartered
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large Dutch oven, lightly brown the sausage
2. Add the potatoes and just enough broth to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Add the carrots and onions in an even layer with the potatoes, adjust broth level, using water if necessary, and again bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 more minutes.
4. Add the bell peppers and repeat for another 5 minutes.
5. Arrange the cabbage wedges, cut side down, in a single layer atop all. Season with salt and pepper. Do not add water. Cover and steam cabbage until tender.
6. To prepare in a slow cooker: Place all ingredients except the cabbage in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 4 to 6 hours. Add the cabbage for the last hour or so, but do not over cook.