Like your Italian sausage sweet or hot? It’s up to you. Either one is fine in this one pot meal of sausage and peppers served with pasta rather than on a bun.
No pressure cooker? This recipe may be prepared stove top, but be prepared for a longer cooking time. You may need to add a little extra broth.
1 tsp olive oil
1 pound Italian sausage links, sliced into coins
1 small onion, sliced stem to root into wedges
1 medium bell pepper, sliced
1 clove garlic
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
12 oz penne pasta
2 15-oz cans diced tomatoes
2 tsp Italian seasoning
4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
parsley, for garnishing
1. Heat a 6 qt electric pressure cooker to “Sauté.” Add oil, sausage, and onion. Cook until sausage is no longer pink and onions are slightly softened. Add bell pepper and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes or until garlic is fragrant.
2. Add chicken broth, pasta, diced tomatoes, and Italian seasoning. Stir to combine and make sure pasta is submerged in liquid.
3. Set cooker to “Manual” for 7 minutes. Turn valve to Seal. When the timer goes off, turn valve to Vent to quick release the pressure.
4. Keep on Warm. Add 1 cup mozzarella cheese and stir to melt. If the sauce appears thin, let set for 5-10 minutes, it will thicken.
5. To make ahead or turn into a freezer meal: Make as directed and then pour into a greased 9×13 pan. Top with more mozzarella cheese (1/4-1/2 cup) and cover with foil. Freeze or refrigerate until ready to bake. Place cold pan in cold oven and preheat oven to 350°F. Cook for an hour, uncovering in the last 15 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted. It may require slightly longer cooking time if frozen. If cooking from frozen, you can also thaw overnight in fridge before baking.