True Au Jus can be made to accompany any roast meat, using the trimmings that come from that roast. (Discard the silverskin.)
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup meaty beef scraps, more or less as available
1/2 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 cups beef broth
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp ketchup
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil along with the meat scraps. Cook on medium heat until the meat begins to brown and render the fat, then add the onion and garlic. Cook until the onion is very soft, stirring often.
2. Add the wine and simmer until the wine is reduced by half, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
3. Add the remaining ingredients, and again simmer until reduced by half. Keep warm.
4. After the roast has rested, add any accumulated juices from the platter. Strain the jus through a fine mesh strainer into a small saucepan. Heat to serving temperature.
5. Serve in individual bowls along side the meat.
Yield: about 2 cups