This recipe originally used Wheatsworth Crackers, which are no longer available. Look for very hearty whole wheat crackers as a substitute.
2 pounds fresh broccoli
1/2 onion, diced
10 3/4 ounces cream of mushroom soup
8 ounces 2% milk
8 ounces cream cheese
8 ounces Velveeta
1 stack Wheatsworth crackers
1. Chop the broccoli into small pieces and place in a microwave safe bowl along with the onion and a tablespoon of water. Cover with plastic wrap and cook on high for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring once, until crisp tender. Remove from microwave and drain.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the soup and milk. Crush the crackers and set aside. Cut the cheeses into 1/8″ thick slices.
3. Preheat the oven to 375 and grease a large covered casserole.
4. Layer one third of the broccoli in the casserole dish. Arrange one third of the cheese in a single layer on top of the broccoli. Pour one third of the soup mixture over the cheese and sprinkle with one third of the crushed crackers. Repeat the layers two more times.
5. Cover, and bake the casserole in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until bubbly. Remove the cover and bake 15 minutes more to brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.