Pan fry these little potato patties for a decidedly different side dish.
5 cups cold mashed potatoes, about 2 1/2 pounds
1/3 cup green onions, thinly sliced
2 extra large eggs
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 2/3 cup panko bread crumbs, divided
1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying, or as needed
1. Preheat the oven to 200°. Place a wire rack over a baking sheet in the oven.
2. In a large bowl, mashed potatoes, green onions, egg, salt, black pepper, cheese, and 2/3 cup panko bread crumbs together until thoroughly combined. If mixture is too moist to hold together, mix in additional panko crumbs.
3. Place remaining panko crumbs into a shallow bowl.
4. Scoop about 1/2 cup of the mixture and form into a ball, then slightly flatten into a patty. Press both sides of patty into the panko crumbs and tap off any loose crumbs. Repeat with remaining mixture to form 18 patties.
5. Any patties that are not intended for immediate use may be frozen.
6. Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat until very hot. Pan-fry 2 or 3 patties at a time in the hot oil until golden brown on each side, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
7. Remove the patties to the oven to keep warm until all are cooked.