Surprisingly healthy and not fried at all! This recipe is a copy cat of the Cracker Barrel Restaurant dish that is on their breakfast menu.
2 1/2 cups unsweetened apple juice, divided
4 large golden delicious apples, unpeeled
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1. Slice the apples into 1/2″ wedges. In a large skillet, combine 2 cups of the apple juice and sliced apples.
2. Simmer gently until the apples are fork tender, but not mushy, turning the apples frequently.
3. Remove the apples from the juice using a slotted spoon and place in a serving dish.
4. Combine the remaining 1/2 cup apple juice, cornstarch, spices, and sugar. Whisk until smooth.
5. Add the cornstarch mixture to the hot apple juice in the skillet and cook, stirring constantly over medium high heat until it bubbles and becomes thickened and smooth.
6. Pour the thickened sauce over the apples and serve.