Don’t throw the tough dark green portions of the leeks. Save them for the next time you make broth.
1 1/2 pounds leeks, about one bunch
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
4 ounces Neufchatel
2 extra large eggs
1/4 cup half-and-half
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a 9 x 9 inch baking dish with no-stick spray.
2. Cut the bottoms off the leeks, then cut in half lengthwise. Rinse well, separating the layers. Trim off and discard the tough green portions. Cut the leeks into 2 inch pieces.
3. Place the leeks in a micro wave safe bowl and toss with the salt. Add 2 tablespoons water, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Stir and microwave another 2 minutes or until tender. Drain.
4. Beat together the cream cheese and eggs until smooth. Stir in the milk, then the pepper and Parmesan. Combine the cream mixture with the leeks and pour into the greased casserole dish, pressing the leeks down to submerge.
5. Bake the leeks for 30 minutes, or until set in the middle. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.