I’m not sure where this recipe came from, but it sure is good.
This version of Mac ‘n Cheese takes advantage of a choice of modern cooking methods. The sauce is prepared in the microwave and then the dish can be finished off in the oven or slow cooker.
3 cups Dreamfields elbow macaroni, uncooked
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp all- purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 12 oz can evaporated milk
8 oz Velveeta Cheese, cubed
4 oz Monterey jack cheese, shredded
1. In a large pot of salted water, boil dry macaroni until just shy of done. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large microwave safe bowl, melt butter. Whisk in the flour, salt, dry mustard, and cayenne pepper. Cook on high for 15 seconds. Slowly whisk in the milk, then stir in the cubed Velveeta.
3. Microwave the sauce mixture, stirring every 30 seconds, until the cheese is melted. Stir in the Monterey Jack and then the macaroni.
4. At this point you can EITHER;
5. Transfer the mixture to a greased casserole dish and bake, uncovered, in a pre-heated 350° oven for 20 minutes. If desired top with buttered bread crumbs before baking.
7. Transfer the mixture to a slow cooker and cook on low for 15 minutes then reduce heat to warm to hold till serving.