This is a scaled down version of my Summer Squash Casserole. The original recipe calls for sharp cheddar cheese, but I thought pepper jack cheese would add a little interest. Use either one.
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 medium Vidalia onion, chopped
1 1/4 pounds yellow squash
1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
1 extra large egg
1/4 cup light sour cream
12 saltine crackers, crushed
1/4 tsp garlic salt
2 oz pepper jack cheese, shredded
1. In a large sauce pan over medium heat, sauté the onions in butter until softened. Season with 1/4 tsp each of the salt and pepper.
2. Stir the squash into the onions as you slice it. Cook until softened, then pour into a colander to drain.
3. In the same pot off heat, combine the remaining ingredients, reserving a little of the cheese for topping, then stir in the drained squash.
4. Transfer the casserole mixture to a small baking dish that has been lightly coated with non-stick spray. Top evenly with the reserved cheese and cover with foil.
5. Heat over to 350°. Bake for 20 minutes covered, then uncovered until golden brown and bubbly.