If you prefer not to deep fry these Squash Fritters you can form them into patties and either pan fry or bake them.
1 cup yellow squash, cooked and mashed (about 1/2 lb raw)
1 extra large egg, beaten
1 medium onion, minced
1/2 cup bell pepper, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup cornmeal
vegetable oil, for frying
1. Prepare the squash by cubing it and microwaving until tender, about 6 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. Place in a sieve or colander to cool and drain. Mash and measure 1 cup. A little more or less will be OK.
2. In a large bowl, combine the squash and egg until well combined. Stir in the onion, bell pepper, salt, and pepper. Combine the baking powder and cornmeal. Add the cornmeal to the squash and mix well.
3. Form the squash mixture into fritters about the size of a slightly flattened golf ball for deep frying or patties for pan frying or baking.
4. Heat a sufficient amount of oil to 360°. Working in batches, cook the squash fritters until golden brown, turning once. Remove to drain on paper towels. Immediately sprinkle the hot fritters with a little salt.
5. Keep the fritters warm by placing them on a wire rack set over a baking sheet in a 200° oven.
6. If you chose to bake, preheat the oven to 350°. Spray a baking sheet liberally with cooking spray. Arrange the patties in a single layer and spray the tops with more cooking spray. Bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 20 minutes, turning once.