This recipe takes advantage of fresh yellow summer squash. I divide it into smaller casseroles that freeze well; thaw before baking.
4 Tbsp butter
1 medium Vidalia onion, chopped
5 lbs yellow squash, sliced
1 1/4 tsp kosher salt, divided
1 1/4 tsp black pepper, divided
4 extra large eggs
1 cup light sour cream
1 sleeve saltine crackers, crushed
1/2 tsp garlic salt
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1. In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, sauté the onions in butter until softened. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Stir the squash into the onions as you slice it. If you try to add the squash all at once it may not fit in the pot. Cook until softened, then pour into a colander to drain.
3. In the same pot off the heat, combine the remaining ingredients, reserving 1/2 cup of the cheese, then stir in the drained squash.
4. Transfer the casserole mixture to a 9×13 baking dish that has been lightly coated with non-stick spray or to freezer containers. Top evenly with the reserved cheese and cover with foil if baking or prepare for freezing.
5. Heat oven to 350°. Bake for 20 minutes covered, (longer for thawed casseroles), then uncovered until golden brown and bubbly.