Processing the squash in small batches doesn’t take any longer, but you get a better product. The first squash of a large batch tends to get mushy and watery before the last is added.
all ingredients are divided in use
1/2 cup butter
1 medium Vidalia onion, diced
5 pounds yellow squash
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1. This recipe works with 1/4 of all ingredients at a time.
2. In a large saucepan, melt 2 Tbsp. of the butter. Add 1/4 of the onion and saute until the onion just begins to soften.
3. Working with 1 1/4 pounds of the squash, halve or quarter the larger squash lenghtwise. Slice the squash about 1/4 inch thick, no thicker. Add to the pan with the onion as you cut it, stirring until just heated through.
4. Sprinkle the squash with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper and stir to distribute evenly.
5. Remove from the heat to a freezer container and cool.
6. Repeat with the remaining squash, then freeze and wrap for storage.
Yield: 12 cups