Fall is for sweet potatoes and fall is for apples. Combine them both in this delicious side dish for your next holiday table.
1 lbs sweet potatoes
1/2 lb baking apples
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup apple juice
2 oz ginger snap cookies
1 oz pecans, about 1/4 cup
2 Tbsp cold cubed butter
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Peel the sweet potatoes, slice 1/4 inch thick, and set aside.
3. Cut the apples in half from stem to end and core. Score through the skin of each half in the center, again working from stem to end, then slice the apples crosswise into 1/4 inch half circles. Dip the slices into a mixture of 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 cup cold water. Set aside.
4. Spray a 7″by 9″ baking dish with no-stick spray. Arrange the sweet potatoes and apples, alternating them in overlapping rows. Pour in the apple juice, cover with foil, and bake for 30 minutes.
5. While the casserole is baking, break the ginger snaps into the bowl of a food processor. Add the pecans, butter, and cinnamon. Pulse into coarse crumbs, like a streusel topping.
6. Uncover the casserole and sprinkle on the crumb topping. Bake until the potatoes are soft and the topping is crisped, about 20 minutes more.