Light and fresh, this soup goes together quickly. If fresh tomatoes or spinach are not available, substitute a can of diced tomatoes with their juice or 10 oz. frozen whole leaf spinach, thawed and well drained.
1 Tbs olive oil
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
2 cups fresh tomatoes, peeled and diced
1 9 oz package fresh tortellini
10 oz fresh baby spinach
freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for topping
1. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
2. Saute the onion and garlic, stirring often until onions are translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes. Season with the salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
3. Add broth and tomatoes, turn heat up to high, and bring to a boil.
4. Add the tortellini and cook according to package instructions.
5. When tortellini is almost done, add spinach and taste, adjusting seasonings with salt and pepper.
6. Serve immediately, so the tortellini does not over-cook.
7. Garnish each serving with a sprinkling of Parmesan.