In the mood for a warm and creamy bowl of potato soup? Or maybe broccoli soup is more your style… this recipe works for either one.
2 15-oz cans chicken broth
3 medium potatoes, cubed
1 head broccoli, chopped, peel stems of skins and slice ( skins are tough and bitter)
2 slices bacon
2 Tbsp butter
2 stalks celery, finely diced
2 medium carrots, finely diced
1/2 medium onion, finely diced
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp cornstarch, (only for broccoli soup)
3/4 cup shredded cheese, divided
1. Combine the broth and cubed potatoes (or broccoli) in a large sauce pan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until very soft.
2. While the potatoes are starting to cook, pan fry the bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Crumble the bacon and reserve.
3. In the same skillet, melt the butter and add diced celery, carrots, and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened but do not brown. If the veggies are beginning to brown reduce the heat and add a little water to the pan.
4. When potatoes are done add the vegetable mixture to the pot.
5. Reduce heat to low and add the milk and heavy cream. Be careful not to have the soup at a heavy boil or the cream will curdle.
6. Cook, stirring frequently, until the potatoes start to break down and the soup thickens.
8. If you are making broccoli soup, combine the cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water, stirring until smooth. Stir this slurry into the soup and raise the heat slightly. Cook and stir until the soup thickens.
9. Add 1/2 cup of the cheese and stir to melt into the soup.
10. Serve each portion sprinkled with some of the reserved bacon and cheese.