Football food or beach treats, Cajun Boiled Peanuts are hard to resist. Best made in your slow cooker, they can also be prepared in a large Dutch oven. This pressure cooker version is not quite a spicy as its slow cooked cousins, so feel free to up the amount of spices if you dare.
You will need an eight quart or larger pressure cooker for this recipe.
1 4 oz bottle liquid crab boil
1 Tbs red pepper flakes
1/2 cup Cajun seasoning
2 lbs raw peanuts in the shell
1. Pick through the peanuts, removing any trash and empty shells. Place the peanuts in their shells in the electric pressure cooker and add enough water to cover. Do not exceed the maximum level.
2. Cook for 15 minutes, then release the steam and drain.
3. Again cover with water, cook for 15 minutes, release the steam, and drain.
4. In a large bowl or glass measure, combine all the seasonings with 1 quart of water, mixing very well.
5. Pour over the peanuts in the pressure cooker and stir to coat. Add enough additional water to cover the peanuts.
6. Cook for 30 minutes, then release the steam and check the peanuts’ progress. I f you prefer a softer peanut, cook them a little longer.