Anything goes when it comes to stuffing a calzone! Think of it as a big pizza pocket. Feel free to save time by using purchased pizza dough if you don’t have the time to make your own, but you’ll have more than two servings.
1 recipe Pizza Dough for Two
1/2 cup Fresh Ricotta Cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1 link hot Italian sausage, casing removed
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp minced garlic
2 oz baby spinach leaves, about 2 cups
1 cup Marinara Sauce or Pizza Sauce, divided
2 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
1. Prepare one recipe of Pizza Dough.
2. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta and Parmesan cheeses and set aside.
3. In a small skillet, brown the Italian sausage. Remove to paper towels to drain.
4. In the same skillet, warm the oil and cook the garlic just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the spinach and toss to wilt slightly. Do not over cook. Remove to paper towels to drain excess liquid.
5. To assemble the calzones:
6. Preheat the oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment for easy cleanup.
7. Divide the Pizza Dough in half and roll out into an 8 inch circle. Spread with a couple Tbsp of marinara, stopping about an inch from the edge.
8. Spread half the ricotta mixture over half the marinara, then layer on the sausage and spinach. Cover with mozzarella.
9. Fold the empty side of the dough over the fillings and crimp to seal OR just fold the dough over itself to seal and place seam side down on the parchment.
10. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden. Serve with the remaining marinara for dipping.