When ever Halloween is on the horizon I think of Caramel Corn. It’s best to make this on a clear day. Humidity turns this sweet treat sticky quickly. Store it in an airtight container when cool.
4 quarts air popped popcorn, about 85g un-popped
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1/2 cup butter
1 cup honey roasted peanuts
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 250°. Mist a large roasting pan with cooking spray. Add the popped popcorn and keep in the oven while preparing syrup.
2. In a heavy 2 quart saucepan, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, and salt. Bring to a boil stirring constantly.
3. Boil for 5 minutes without stirring, then add the peanuts, stirring to coat. Remove from the heat. Stir in the baking soda and vanilla.
4. Drizzle the hot syrup over the warm popcorn, gently stirring as you go.
5. Return the caramel coated popcorn to the oven and bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and spread on 2 cookie sheets that have been covered with foil and misted with cooking spray. Let cool, then break apart and store in an air-tight container at room temperature.