This recipe originally came from a WordPress.com blogger, Southern Abroad. She uses Farmhouse white bread and doesn’t specify quantities, so here’s my take on her recipe.
2 slices 100% whole wheat bread
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp cream cheese
1 small tomato, sliced thinly
3 slices fresh mozzarella cheese, about 1 ounce
3 to 4 leaves fresh basil
1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
English mustard (optional)
1. Melt the butter in a pan over low heat. Sprinkle a pinch of salt in the pan and smear the butter around to coat the entire pan.
2. Generously spread cream cheese on one side of one slice of bread. Once the butter has melted, place the slice of bread, cream cheese side up, in the pan. Lay the tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, and cheddar cheese on the bread (in that order) and lightly season with freshly ground black pepper.
3. Spread a thin layer of English mustard on the other slice of bread (optional) and place it on top of the sandwich.
4. Cover the sandwich with a lid and allow it to cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Remove the lid and lift the sandwich to check how much it has toasted. If it is golden brown, or toasted to your liking, flip the sandwich over and cover it. Allow it to cook another 2 minutes.
6. Check the bottom side of the sandwich and if it has toasted, remove the sandwich from the pan.
7. Slice it diagonally in half and enjoy!