Originally created as an appetizer, Pilaf Stuffed Mushrooms are hearty enough to serve as a meatless entree.
1 tsp olive oil
8 large mushroom caps, cleaned
1 slice whole wheat bread, roughly torn
2 oz pepper jack cheese, shredded
1/3 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 cup leftover Brown Rice and Lentil Pilaf
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. Coat the bottom of a 9″ baking dish with the olive oil and arrange the mushroom caps stem side up.
3. In a mini food processor, pulse the torn slice of bread into crumbs. Transfer the crumbs to a very small bowl and set aside.
4. In the same processor, combine the cheeses and chili powder. Process until smooth, then transfer to a medium bowl and blend in the pilaf.
5. Mound the pilaf mixture firmly into the mushroom caps. Carefully invert each mushroom cap into the bread crumbs to coat. Sprinkle any remaining crumbs evenly over all the mushrooms, pressing lightly into place.
6. Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes, or until heated through and lightly browned.