These savory treats are much like Southern cheese straws, but much quicker and easier to fix. The Emeril’s Essence can be a little spicy, so adjust it to taste. If you like, sprinkle a little more Essence on right as they come out of the oven to make them look a little fancier.
4 oz mild cheddar cheese, shredded
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbs Emeril’s Essence
1. In a large mixing bowl combine shredded cheese and butter; bring to room temperature (about 1 hour).
2. Beat with an electric mixer until well combined. Stir in flour and Essence. Divide dough in half.
3. Shape dough into two 7-inch logs. Wrap and chill logs for at least 1 hour. At this point the dough can be frozen for later use, just thaw before slicing.
4. Preheat oven to 350. Slice logs into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
5. Place slices on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with additional Essence Immediately upon removing from oven. Makes about 4 dozen.