This Manicotti is my effort to make the original Chicken and Spinach Manicotti with Two Sauces just a bit lighter and healthier.
10 oz chopped spinach
8 oz part-skim ricotta cheese
8 oz nonfat cottage cheese
1 1/2 oz Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
2 extra large eggs, beaten
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
9 oz no-boil lasagna noodles
4 cups Homemade Marinara Sauce
2 cups Lite Alfredo Sauce
1. Microwave the spinach, covered, for 4 minutes. When it’s cool enough to handle squeeze out all the moisture.
2. In a small bowl or mini food processor, cream together the ricotta and cottage cheese until smooth.
3. In a large bowl, combine the spinach, ricotta mixture, Parmesan, mozzarella, chicken and eggs, mixing well, and set aside.
4. Fill a 9×13 half way with boiling water and submerge the lasagna noodles one at a time in a staggered pattern to prevent sticking. Let the noodles stand 5 minutes or until pliable, then remove to a clean tea towel. Wash and dry the baking dish and spray with no-stick cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 350.
5. Spread the marinara in the bottom of the baking dish.
6. Divide the chicken mixture evenly between the lasagna noodles, placing the filling on the short end of the noodles and roll into manicotti. Place in 2 rows in the baking dish, then top with the Alfredo sauce.
7. Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 16 manicotti