I like to use my recipe for Chicken Burgers in this dish, but one can easily substitute simple ground chicken patties or even boneless chicken breasts.
1 lb eggplant, sliced 1/2″ thick
1 1/2 lbs zucchini, sliced 1/4″ thick
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
2 Tbs chopped fresh basil
1 Tbs chopped fresh oregano
2 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
2 cups freezer tomatoes, thawed
1 Tbs olive oil
1 cup Vidalia onion, diced
1 cup bell pepper, diced
2 tsp chili pepper, minced
2 tsp minced garlic
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 Tbs tomato paste
3 oz grated fresh Parmesan cheese
6 4 oz ground chicken breast patties
3 oz mozzarella cheese, part skim milk, grated
1. Line two baking sheets with a triple layer of paper towells. Arrange zucchini and eggplant in a single layer on the baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly on both sides with 1 teaspoon of the salt and set aside.
2. Stir the chopped herbs into the freezer tomatoes and set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large,heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers and saute until slightly softened. Stir in the garlic and then mushrooms and continue to cook and stir to soften the mushrooms. Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Stir in the tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer while grilling the zucchini and eggplant.
4. Heat a non-stick griddle or skillet on medium. Grill eggplant and then zucchini in batches, turning as necessary, until pliable. Grill chicken patties until golden on both sides.
5. Preheat the oven to 375. Spray a 7″x11″ casserole with olive oil spray. Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce in the bottom of the casserole dish. Cover with the eggplant and about one third of the tomato sauce, then sprinkle with half of the Parmesan. Layer in the zucchini, more tomato sauce and the remaining Parmesan. Arrange the chicken patties on top of the casserole and top each patty with a dollop of tomato sauce. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and divide the mozzerella evenly on top of the chicken. Increase the oven heat and bake an additional 10 to 12 minutes.
6. Let stand, tented with foil, 10 minutes before serving.