Vanilla Bean Ice Cream goes with everything! Well, maybe not pepperoni pizza. I especially like it with a bowl of warm fruit cobbler.
1 cup sugar
5 extra large egg yolks
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups milk
1 whole vanilla bean, split and scraped
1. In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar & yolks. Gradually whisk in cream & milk. Add the vanilla bean and its seeds.
2. Stirring constantly over medium heat bring the custard mixture to180°.
3. Pour the custard into a glass bowl. Carefully nest the bowl into an ice bath to cool, stirring .frequently. Refrigerate the mixture to 40° or overnight.
4. Retrieve and discard the vanilla bean pod.
5. Freeze in an ice cream machine for 25 to 30 min. until soft serve, then transfer to a freezer container and freeze to set, about 2 hours.
Yield: 1 quart