Serve with a side of Marinara sauce for dipping.
2 lb homemade pizza dough or store-bought dough for 2 pizzas
2 Tbs olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 8 oz package sliced fresh mushrooms (about 3 cups)
3 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
1 pound Italian Sausage, cooked and crumbled
2 cups ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp pepper
Marinara Sauce, for dipping
1. Heat oven to 450°F. Divide the pizza dough into 8 pieces. Roll out each into an 8-inch round disk.
2. To make the filling, in 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook 5 to 7 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the spinach and continue to toss and cook about 2 minutes or until the spinach wilts. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. In large bowl, mix the cooked sausage, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, nutmeg, pepper and onion-spinach mixture.
4. To make each calzone, place filling in the center of a dough round. (Resist the temptation to overfill the dough.) Fold the dough over and press the edge and twist to seal. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
5. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cut each calzone in half to serve.